Coffee fig muffins
* 425g rye flour or whole wheat flour
* 125ml coconut sugar or brown sugar
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 cup chopped dried figs (more if you like)
* 1 espresso shot
* 125ml coconut oil
* 375ml water
* 1 tsp vanilla essence
* 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/3 cup walnuts
* fresh figs
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chopped figs, and chopped walnuts (leave a few nuts over for decoration).
3. Mix together the water, melted coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla essence and, espresso shot.
4. Gradually add the wet into the dry and then pour the batter into pre-cut parchment paper squares or into paper muffin cases 3/4 of the way.
5. Add extra chopped walnuts on top and bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked and brown.
6. Let them cool before serving with some butter or almond butter and fresh figs.
7. Store in an airtight container for three days. These muffins freeze really well too.
* The whole wheat flour can be subbed with half all-purpose white flour and whole wheat. Even rye or buckwheat flour would be great.
* Other nuts like pecans or hazelnuts will be great instead of walnuts.