Bobotie sausage rolls
- 2 cups canned/freshly cooked brown lentils (drained)
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 cup cooked or frozen butternut or any other firm, not stringy pumpkin
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaped tbsp good quality or homemade apricot jam or chutney
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 tsp Ras el Hanout curry spice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/3 tsp onion seeds
- 1-2 garlic cloves or 1/2 tsp garlic flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with water to thicken the mixture
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Add some olive oil to a hot pan, slice the red onion, and fry in the oil, until translucent, add the garlic, curry spices and mustard seeds.
4. Then add in the lentils and pumpkin, and cook until soft, halfway through add the apple cider vinegar, apricot jam, and tomato puree.
5. Lastly, add the cornstarch paste and add the dried apricots and vegetable stock, let it simmer, until it starts to thicken. Let it cool.
6. Once the bobotie filling has cooled roll out the sheet of puff pasty. On the long edge of the pastry, 1cm in add a thick layer of the bobotie filling like a long sausage, make sure there is enough pastry to fold over to make a sausage.
7. Fold over and then slice into mini rolls, brush with melted vegan butter, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
8. Bake for 15-18 minutes until brown. Serve with chutney and enjoy!